Back in February, I challenged myself to complete a Book Bingo Card. I’ve been so busy devouring books and studying this year, that I completely forgot to update you on my bingo progress, so welcome to my VERY overdue book bingo update!
Looking at this list, I think I might be almost able to complete this bingo card twice over. Alas, I’m only doing it once, so here are my picks for each category so far:
Non- Fiction: My Polar Dream by Jade Hameister
Royalty: Red, White & Blue by Casey McQuiston
LGBTQI Character: Autoboyography by Christina Lauren
Award Winner: The Trauma Cleaner by Sarah Krasnostein
- Victorian Prize for Literature, 2018
- Victorian Premier’s Literary Award for Non-Fiction, 2018
- ABIA General Non-Fiction Book of the Year, 2018
- ABDA Designers’ Choice: Cover of the Year: W. H. Chong, 2018
- Dobbie Literary Award for a first time published author, 2018
- Indie Book Award for Non-fiction, 2018
- Melbourne Prize for Literature: Best Writing Award, 2018
- Joint winner for Douglas Stewart Prize for Non-Fiction, NSW Premier’s Literary Awards, 2019
- commended for the Institute of Professional Editors in Victoria, 2018
It was also shortlisted for:
- ABIA Matt Richell Award for New Writer of the Year, 2018
- ABDA Best Designed Autobiography/Biography/Memoir Non-Fiction Cover, W. H. Chong, 2018
- Nib Waverley Library Award, 2018
- Sisters in Crime’s 18th Davitt Awards: Nonfiction, 2018
- Sisters in Crime’s 18th Davitt Awards: Debut, 2018
- Wellcome Book Prize, United Kingdom, 2019
- National Biography Award, 2019
And long-listed for:
- Walkley Book Award, The Walkley Foundation, 2018
Note: When I started this book, I had no idea it had won or been shortlisted/longlisted for any of these awards. My original pick for this category was the CBCA Book Awards winners.
Fairytale Retelling: Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Re-read: The French Photographer by Natasha Lester. This might be a slightly controversial pick, as this book is a 2019 new release, BUT I read it TWICE this year, so it counts!
TBR Freebie: What The Wind Knows by Amy Harmon
Graphic Novel: The Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblans by Clint McEvoy
Complete a Series: ‘Elements of Chemistry’ series by Penny Reid. I read all three books this year: Attraction/Heat/Capture.
Fantasy: The Wicked King by Holly Black
Enemies-to-lovers: Pestilence by Laura Thalassa (book 1 in the Four Horsemen Series)
Marriage of Convenience: The Kiss Thief by L J Shen
Which means, to-date I’ve completed all but three categories – POETRY, CLASSIC and SCRIPT/PLAY.
With six and half weeks left of this year, I should be able to complete this card easily. I do already have books that classify for all of the missing categories, and I will try to squeeze them in asap.
All in all, I’m pretty damn happy with how this card turned out so far.
Were you using a reading bingo card in 2019? Is so, how are you going with it? I’d love to hear from you in the comments.